Dec 23, 2016

Halloween 2016

Halloween was a lot more chill this year than it was last year - I didn't stay out all night, but I did go to a party and went to Osaka with friends! Oh, and USJ too!!


First on the list of festivities was a party that was hosted in collaboration with my Hair Salon. They do parties every so often, and this was their Halloween one.

There was live music, DJs, dancing, drinking, and a ton of fun stuff. A few friends went as well, one of which was the girl who introduced me to the salon, as well as all the staff.

If you are in the Kansai area, check them out - they have locations in Kobe, Osaka and Himeji. The owner has also recently branched out in NY, and already works in Tokyo with celebrity clients. They have talented staff and are very friendly with foreigners! Some staff at the Osaka location can speak various languages such as English, Mandarin, Cantonese, German and French too.
Their main draw is the "Step Bone Cut" technique created by the owner Sayuri. Its a style of cutting that uses special cutting techniques to minimize damage to hair and work with the shape of your head to provide a more flattering cut and make styling easier. I have super unmanageable hair - always have hated my hair - and its at its best since going to them regularly. My hair now holds curls, has volume and texture, and is super healthy even with dying regularly.

Anyway, it was a super fun night and I'm really glad I was able to go! It was actually on the 23rd, so it still left me able to go out with other ALTs later for actual Halloween celebrations.

But, before that, I headed to USJ with some friends. 

Halloween at Universal Studios Japan is probably the BEST time to go. Lots of people dress up in all kinds of costumes, and not only are there fun Halloween themed amusements, rides, shows, and haunted houses.... but the main sections of the park turn into a zombie apocalypse horror after 6pm! Me and my friends dressed up as minions (a common and popular costume for USJ) and hit up some fun roller coasters and of course stuck around for the zombies!
Cute minion!
Cannibalism?
Mels DRIVE-IN becomes Mels DIE-IN when the zombies come out...
Basically what happens is that the main areas of the park are overrun by zombies, and guests encounter them all over and are chased. They themselves are their own attraction, but also just a fun way to be entertained while moving from ride to ride. This year the Harry Potter area also had a dementors themed event, though it was more of a show that occurred every 30 minutes or so, so a bit different from the zombie event - which is constantly ongoing from 6pm until the park closes.

Halloween night itself was actually celebrated the weekend before - as no one would really wanna go out on a Monday night with work the next day....
A few friends and I went out on the Saturday - just to Osaka to hang out and drink. I wasn't sure if I was going to stay out all night or not, but I ended up heading home at last train. I stayed out all night last year, but I was with my boyfriend and had a few friends I was closer with and with who I knew I could keep myself entertained with until morning. This year though, the group of friends that I was closest with had to head home early due to a school function happening the next morning at their schools. That left me with the choice of hanging out all night with people I knew but weren't really friends with, or going home... so I chose the later. It was still a super fun night; I drank a lot and saw some cool costumes in the American Village area of Shinsaibashi (where all the cool kids go to party on Halloween).

All-in-all it was a fun time! Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year, so it's nice that Japan is really getting into celebrating it recently. It's definitely becoming more and more popular every year and I'm not complaining. I wonder what I'll get up to for Halloween next year - can't wait to see!